Sunday, September 15, 2013

Update: Porsche 993 Fog Light Reconditioning

In preparation for a bumperette delete and taking advantage of a Pelican Parts, I ordered "clear corner" lights for the 993.  Excited to see how they would look, I popped them...and was pretty bummed.

A couple months ago, I painted the inside of the fog lights silver to take care of yellowing plastic (post here).  The fogs look great on their own, but when I installed the clear corners, they don't match color wise.  The fit between the corners and the fogs is not as tight as I would like either.

Porsche 993 Fog Light and Clear Corners
Porsche 993 Fog Light and Clear Corners
At this point, I have a couple of options:
  • Get over it
  • Repaint the fog light plastic trying to match the clear corners
  • Replace the fogs with one of the brake duct fog light replacements
  • Swap clear corners for amber corners
Not sure which way I will go yet.

4 comments:

  1. How'd your fog lights / brake duct /bumperette delete turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it still looks just like the photo. It will probably be a year or two before I do anything about the front end. Installing a golden rod & SSK, refinishing the wheels, and re-doing the suspension are higher on the list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound like some fun projects. What did you decide to swap out the Bilstein HDs for? I'm picking up a 993tt this week, so I'm looking forward to reading about all your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car rides too low and thus has too much bumpsteer. I will probably first try raising the bilstein hd's to the top of their adjustment range (which isn't much in the front). If that doesn't work, I may swap out the H&R springs for something taller - probably RoW M030. Or I may put in the RS uprights and tie rods :-).

      Congrats on the 993tt -- share some photos when it arrives!

      Delete