Thursday, February 19, 2015

993 Engine Drop: It's Out!

Where'd my engine go?
Ella's engine is out!  It actually came out about three weeks ago, but I'd rather be wrenching than blogging :-).

The process is well documented on pcarworkshop.com and the rennlist 993 forum, and I also purchased the Bentley 993 manual. With those sources already available, I don't have much to add to the technical instructions, but click past the break for some notes on moving the engine around in a home garage and, of course, some photos.

I purchased the Esco jack stands, an engine cradle from Wilding Engineering and this AC Delco jack just to make the physical removal easy.  This setup had worked for another rennlister, but not as smoothly for me.  With the Esco jackstands at max height, the jack would not quite reach the engine, so I had to lower the jackstands.  But then the engine was too tall to come out from under the car, so I had to raise the car again. It wasn't too much trouble, but I had hoped for easier.

Rolling out the engine.
The jack cradle is designed to balance the engine + transmission, so the engine has to have another means of support.  I had saved a bunch of 4"x4" cedar posts from my recent fence repair and played "Lincoln Logs" to build a base for the engine.   I used an ATV jack  to support and then remove the transmission.
Transmission removed.
After a few attempts here was my final setup.  Things to remember for next time:
1. Make the gap wide enough at the bottom for the engine stand (it's wider than the jack).
2. Use 2x4's to make level 3 taller than normal -- this allows for the long cross beams to easily be slid into place.  The cross beams support the ATV jack for lifting the engine up to engine-stand height.
Getting the engine on the engine stand.  A bit like adult-sized Lincoln Logs!

Ready for the "real" work to begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment