Saturday, March 28, 2015

Parts Clean-up: Soda blasting

I read about soda blasting online, and it seemed a good fit for some of my parts cleaning needs.  As I understand it, soda blasting is (one of) the least abrasive forms of media blasting.  It is safe for rubber, plastic and painted surfaces.  It also dissolves in water, so removing the residue is easy.  
I learned most of this from a website on how to clean a carburetor

I took a variety of parts to a local soda blasting shop and was very pleased with the results.  I was most impressed with how it restored some orange rubber pipes that were nearly black with oil stains.  One piece I took was polished aluminum and it came back with a matte finish (okay by me), but the stainless steel pipes look great.  Note that soda blasting is not abrasive enough to remove corrosion.

Before

After

Close-up on orange rubber

Side-by-side on cast aluminum suspension component 

No comments:

Post a Comment