Thursday, May 1, 2014

FD Motorsport SSK and Goldenrod Install

FD Motorsport Goldenrod installed on a Porsche 911 (993)
FDM Goldenrod
Over the Easter weekend, a friend and I installed the FD Motorsports Goldenrod and SSK.  Despite having read many glowing reviews, I was somewhat skeptical that the setup would live-up to the hype.

Consider my skepticism vanquished -- Ella now shifts as you imagine a Porsche should shift. Truth-be-told, she's still on jack stands waiting for me to sort out the suspension, but that doesn't stop me from sitting in the driver's seat and rowing the gears!

In fairness to the original Porsche setup, I have no idea what a 993 stock shift feels like when new - maybe it was almost as good 18 years ago.  The pictures below show some of the wear, while the FDM parts look like they will last longer than the rest of the car.

The install is fairly easy, especially if you do most of the assembly on the workbench, which is an option when doing both replacements at the same time.

Now, I just need to decide on a good shift knob; the stock mushroom design just doesn't work for me.
Dried and cracked plastic in one of the joint cups

The joint that the Goldenrod famously replaces.  There is a surprising amount of play in this joint.


2 comments:

  1. I recommend the carbon aluminum Porsche shifter looks and feels much better, but prob not as good when really cold or hot.

    ReplyDelete