Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Ella drives again!


It's been a little over seven years...

but yesterday (Feb. 7, 2022), I drove Ella home from Mayo Performance where they completed some work on the front suspension I was too worn down to tackle as well as a complete corner balance and alignment.

Once I got used to driving stick again (it's been 2 years) and reacquainted myself with the unique 993 driving driving experience, it was a blast. 

While I had dreams of her coming back from the shop in perfect working order, reality is a bit different and there are some remaining issues.

  • Check engine light: after I got home, the check engine light came on.  I drove her up to the local auto parts store to read the code.  I didn't get the exact code, but something about EVAP.  He cleared it and we'll see if it comes back.
  • Oil leak: there's a drip coming from the right side.  There's a heat shield in the way, but looks to likely be either timing chain cover or chain tensioner oil supply gasket.  I'll have to lift her up and take some stuff off to get a better look.
  • Belt tensioner warning light: I removed the belt tension sensor when installing the Clewett kit and the block-off I used seems to be an "open" when I need a short, or vice-versa.
  • Decklid struts stopped died.  They did an admirable job holding the decklid up for 7 years, and then died today.  I supposed I should have pre-emptively replaced them when access was so easy...
  • Reverse light out: one of the two reverse lights isn't working.  I think it was replaced with a T-LED, so need to investigate.
  • Front fog light out: one of the two front fog lights is out.
  • RS heater bypass isn't sealed right.  One thing I goofed on the engine rebuild was putting the distributor in 180 degrees out of phase, and the mechanic removed the heater bypass to access the distributor.  Getting that heater bypass to stay in place was one of the most annoying jobs in the whole rebuild -- hopefully I remember enough to make it less painful this time around.
I'm sure there's more, but that will keep me busy for a while!

1 comment: