Sunday, May 29, 2022

The 200 mile oil change + odds and ends

Oil change shake-down drive to the lake

Following guidance, the break-in oil needed to be changed after 200 miles.  Seems strange now, but I've never actually done this job before.  Fortunately lots of good instructions and videos out there.  While I already had her on jack stands for the oil change, I figured I would take care of some of the minor issues...

Here's the list:

  • Check engine light: after I got home, the check engine light came on.  I drove her up to the local auto parts store to read the code.  I didn't get the exact code, but something about EVAP.  He cleared it and we'll see if it comes back.
    • Update:  It came back - P0441 EVAP Incorrect Purge Flow.  More diagnosis ahead.
  • Gear shift assembly suddenly started moving around strangely -- felt like it was hanging in place -- but I could still shift.
    • Update:  The shift tube guides (96442402800) had dried and crumbled to bits.  Fortunately replacing them was a pretty easy job.
  • Oil leak: there was a drip coming from the right side that looked likely to be either the timing chain cover or chain tensioner oil supply gasket. 
    • Update:  Definitely leaking from around one of the bolts in the timing chain cover (one of the two holding a heat shield).  Removed an O2 sensor (skip it next time), heat exchanger and various other bits to get access.  Had spares for all the parts I need, except my ThreeBond 1184 was dried out.  Ordered some Yamabond 4 (suspect it's the same stuff and faster to get).
    • Update:  A couple of drives later and it still seems dry.  Cautiously optimistic...


  • Belt tensioner warning light: I removed the belt tension sensor when installing the Clewett kit and the block-off I used seems to be an "open" when I need a short, or vice-versa.
    • Update:  hammered a bit of copper wire into a jumper/short and the issue is solved.



  • Decklid struts died.  They did an admirable job holding the decklid up for 7 years, and then died.  I should have pre-emptively replaced them when access was so easy...
    • Update:  replaced one (the hard to reach one) with a Rennline fully mechanical strut.
  • Reverse light out: one of the two reverse lights isn't working.  I think it was replaced with a T-LED, so need to investigate.
    • Update:  worked when I checked on it.  Monitor going forward.
  • Front fog light out: one of the two front fog lights is out.
    • Update:  punting this one for now
  • RS heater bypass isn't sealed right. 
    • Update:  well, still a major pain.  Pulled the heater bypass and the shroud out of the car, connected them, and then put them back in together.


No comments:

Post a Comment